ASTRA recognizes that information and knowledge-sharing are crucial in the ever changing landscape of the specialty toy industry. To help meet this need, we provide valuable specialty toy industry management Resources to assist members. ASTRA works to maintain a collection of resources to give members the latest information about the specialty toy industry. These include access to guides for children with special needs, retailer performance analysis, podcasts, and blogs.
- Ready, Set, Play! Episode 8 | Robert Sheets of MukikimMukikim is a great toy manufacturer that has products across multiple toy categories. They have received multiple awards in the toy industry as well as in the music industry. Mukikim just received the ASTRA Best Toy For Kids Award for 2018! Hear from Robert Sheets, National Sales Manager in this Ready, Set, Play! podcast.
- Ready, Set, Play! Episode 7 | Isabelle RichardsIsabelle Richards holds a master’s degree in clinical psychology from the Chicago School of Professional Psychology. She has also completed her Level I training in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy. Her years of clinical experience have taken her from preschools, schools, and advocacy agencies to medical clinics and rape crisis centers. She practices Child-centered Play Therapy and specializes in the importance of play.
- Ready, Set, Play! Episode 6 | Greg Waples of University GamesListen in to learn about all things board games! Greg Waples is the Senior Vice President of Sales for University Games. He comes to the “gaming world” with a bit of a unique career path. He actually spent a lot of his time on the brand and marketing side of the business working for large companies like Procter & Gamble, Polaroid, and Jarden. However, Greg found his passion in the sales arena building smaller companies into larger ones and after stints where he had some very impressive growth numbers with companies like AT-A-Glance, Novelty Inc and Duncan he is now attempting to do the same with University Games.
- Ready, Set, Play! Episode 5 | Cassidy Smith of HapeLive from ASTRA Marketplace and Academy with Cassidy Smith of Hape! He will tell us all the amazing things Hape has to offer and why their toys are so special. I will also introduce you to a few store owners from across the US. Don't forget to visit astratoy.org to find your neighborhood toy store!
- Ready, Set, Play! Episode 4 | Daryl Mckay of Oyo SportsDaryl has been the president of Oyo Sports since 2013. Oyo Sports engages fans through licensed sports minifigures and building block field and play sets. The licenses they carry include MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, Colleges and auto racing.
- Ready, Set, Play! Episode 3 | Nira BerryNira is a motivational speaker, happiness coach and founder of LaughingRx laughter wellness programs. This podcast shares family happiness, laughing, and bringing joy to every day! You can find out more about Nira and LaughingRx Laughter Wellness Programs at https://www.laughingrx.net/
- Ready, Set, Play! Episode 2 | Kimberly Mosley of ASTRAJoin us every other week we will discuss different aspects of child development, play, parenting, and of course, toys. ASTRA member and retailer, Scott Friedland of Timeless Toys in Chicago, IL will talk with experts about why play is so important to kids and find out where to get the best toys to support child development.
- Ready, Set, Play! Episode 1 | IntroJoin us every other week we will discuss different aspects of child development, play, parenting, and of course, toys. ASTRA member and retailer, Scott Friedland of Timeless Toys in Chicago, IL will talk with experts about why play is so important to kids and find out where to get the best toys to support child development.
- Toy Talks Episode 1 | Pointy: Be Found LocallyListen to ASTRA's first Toy Talks podcast with Caroline Brady of Pointy | Be Found Locally. Retailers, Jackie Anderson and Keith Schumacker, share their insights on the marketing tool and explain how the installment of Pointy has supported traffic, sales and marketing in their stores. Tune in to hear how you CAN get more traffic in your store with Pointy!
- Leasing Q&A with Craig MelbyLeasing Q&A with Craig Melby of Lease Smart and ASTRA members, Mary Sisson of Kazoodles and Michelle Sahr of Off the Wagon. ASTRA joined Craig on his podcast, "Corporate Real Estate" to ask questions about retail leases.
Digital Download! Make Way for Play: Brilliant Benefits of Toys
This guide illuminates the hidden benefits of toys and the skills that sprout to help kids grow and develop. The following section of this guide shines light on the cornerstones of child development. It explores how toys are perhaps the fastest and certainly the most fun way for a child to reach important milestones through physical, cognitive, communicative, social/emotional and sensory play experiences.
Financials You Can Understand-- 20% OFF (Members Only)!
A practical printed guide with step-by-step tools to help you understand important financial benchmarks. A practical companion to ASTRA’s annual Profit/Benchmarking Survey.
Guide to Toys for Children with Special Needs
This guide is written for any toy seller with the desire to learn more about toys that meet the special needs of children with disabilities. It summarizes characteristics of common disabilities and types of toys that work well for children who have those disabilities.
Play for Profit--50% OFF (Members Only)!
Develop an instruction manual that outlines the steps to enter the retail toy business or can be used to examine current business practices against. The Play for Profit book is a compilation of best practice advice in every area of store operation.
Site Rite: Practical Ways to Boost Profits with the Right Site & Best Terms!
Site Rite provides an arsenal of information to teach businesses practical ways to boost profits with the right site and best lease terms!